11 March 2017

Tartan Puns Are Hard - I Made a Thing!

No, you're not imagining things, I really HAVE made something for once, and photographed it, and then blogged it! Damn, if I could do this regularly maybe I'd be good at this whole blog thing.

Anyhoo.
I don't get to make stuff as much as I used to these days, I've been spending so much time doing that whole traveling to China and Japan thing, and trying to fit normal life in between has been hard enough!

But I digress, I MADE SOMETHING!


The fabric is an unidentified-fabric-content grey tartan I picked up from my favourite bargain bin at Rolls and Rems in Holloway probably about two years ago now. I had the idea of a pinafore in mind as I was buying it, and into the stash it went. Then with the move and a cull of unworn winter items it was time to get it made in time for winter!

And in true Melody fashion, I didn't. It was finished in February. Typical, haha!


The construction is incredibly simple, It's a circle skirt (as always, I use the By Hand London Circle Skirt App) with ginormous pockets that could fit a small human with a literal square of fabric for a bib and strips for straps. I stupidly didn't take a photo, but the straps cross over the back.

 BUT THAT'S NOT ALL!


The bib of the pinafore is REMOVABLE.
You heard me, I only went ahead and made something cute, functional AND I can do a Clarke Kent style transformation from pinafore to skirt in seconds! I'm so pleased with myself, as you can tell.

The bib attaches to the front of the waistband with four buttons and at the back with one button for each strap. An incredibly simple idea, but it's proved to be a goodun' for me, since I like a bit of choice.



There was a few hiccups with this skirt, though. Using cottons for most of my sewing life, I have never experienced an uneven hem that was particularly noticeable on a circle skirt, I'm guessing because it didn't have the weight to it that this does. So it's a bit longer at the sides than the front and back, and although it's not horribly noticeable it ever so slightly grates on my nerves.

And as you might be able to guess from the above photo - I aligned the pockets to the pattern of the fabric instead of the shape, which means as the skirt sits as a semi-circle, it's wonderful. But they slope at the out corners when being worn. An easy fix, since they're just patch pockets - but you guys know I'm so lazy I will never bother!


Scarf: Vintage
Top: Primark
Necklace: Handmade
Brooch: Second hand, god knows what brand!
Belt: Primark
Bangles: Splendette
Shoes: Miss L Fire
Bag: Vintage



SaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogging tips