13 July 2012

Operation: CAKE.



As you may or may not know, the UK is having the wettest summer since records began.
I've spent the last two weeks in a daze of depression, unmotivation and... pretending I'm a plumber.

During this daze, I've been contemplating my direction of sewing - and after a good look over my wardrobe, I have decided I need to make myself some "cake". My idea of cake is some plain, "basic", or staple items that will work in multiple outfits across my wardrobe.

So I sat down with my layout pad, my black and red pens, and like a child, drew an army of redheads in red and black.
Can you guess my favourite colours?
And so Operation: Cake Phase One was in tact.

The driving force behind this project is that I own very little colour in my wardrobe. I own some red dresses, but I need more... colour. I always find that black is a good way of introducing colour - simply because black goes with pretty much anything. Other colours than red will follow at some point, I promise.

 
Simple skirts, a red gathered skirt, black button-front gathered skirt and pencil skirt.

 A red top with peter pan collar, black gathered-strap tshirt, black peplum bustier.

I'm on my way to motivation! I have some black jersey, ready to be ruined [I'm currently reading up on using jersey fabrics, as I've never used them in more than gussets], and red poplin for my skirt and black sheeting has come through the door, I'm just waiting for a free day to get this started - until then, back to the drawing board!!

So, I'm sorry for the delay in real posting, but I hope that, even with this weather, everyone is powering on through the "Great British Summer"!

Melody ♪

3 comments:

  1. Wow these drawings are amazing! The detail in them is incredible! I'd love to be able to draw like that, looking forward to seeing more of your fabulous drawings! XxxX http://thesecondhandrose.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, as always! Drawing has always been my biggest strongpoint - I spent most of my college/uni days being told my sewing was never as good as my designing!

      Delete
  2. Did you ever make that black top in the first picture? I want about 10 of those and have never seen a pattern for them (And can't quiiiite figure it out myself, not yet able to draft in jersey)

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips