27 February 2012

Valentine/Anniversary Ties!

So two weeks back, we had Singles Awareness/Yes We're in a Relationship Day. Also known as Valentines. A week before that mine and my boyfriend's anniversary.
Should you believe and/or celebrate it, I hope valentine's day was lovely for you. I had a welcome surprise of these turning up at my door tuesday morning:



Considering our relationship is a long-distance one and we're both somewhat short on money most of the time, we only get to see each other once a month, and with his new job starting and certain appointments I need to stick to, I could only see him the over the last week.
But what that did give me is enough time to make something. You see, my boyfriend is difficult to buy for if you don't have the money to buy him a 27-inch iMac, but I'd managed to think of something fantastic that he could wear and I could make.

Ties!

With my newly-discovered love for hand embroidery, I thought some embroidered ties would be a nice personal touch for both a present and his personal style [which we've worked out makes him look like a bartender]. And honestly, I'm quite impressed with myself.


The first tie was made with black cotton drill which I had leftover from a pencil skirt I have yet to finish, featuring a little embroidered robot [an inside joke between the two of us], and the second on a light grey cotton drill leftover from a university project with Finn and Jake from the Cartoon Network show Adventure Time, a new favourite for the both of us.

My French knots leave something to be desired

I wish I could pretend that these were easy; they certainly were not. 

Unfortunately I made them just a tad too fat and they don't quite sit under a collar as well as I'd liked, but I'd like to think they went down well with the Commander!


Melody ♪

9 comments:

  1. holy shit girl those ties are precious!! ;A;

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not as precious as your FACE

      Delete
  2. Wow that looks amazing and such good embroidery! Hope you had a lovely time! XxxX http://thesecondhandrose.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you! you always leave just the sweetest comments!
      I actually have a long way to go with embroidery - these are my second and third attempts, actually! But it's encouraging to know that I'm heading in the right direction!

      Delete
  3. My husband and I did long distance for years, I can commiserate.

    Those ties are awesome! You did a good job, they're quite cute but not cutesy. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so refreshing to hear that a relationship hasn't crashed and burned due to long distance! Because I swear as soon as I mention it I am bombarded with how someone once dated someone that lived in the next town and it was ~horrible~ etc, etc!

      And thank you! I did wonder whether embroidering something purposely "cutesy" [In the most horrifically mushy sense] would be seen as lame or jokey, as intended.
      And then I decided against it completely because hand embroidery takes too much time!

      Delete
  4. that jake n finn tie is gorgeous omg TEACH ME THE WAYS sobs so cute kinda want your embroidery skills are actually so good omg everything i try looks like thread vomit :c

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...